17 Jul 10 Kitchen Renovation Mistakes to Avoid
Let’s be real here: renovating your kitchen is a big, expensive project. You don’t want to make any mistakes, especially those that will cost more money and time down the line to fix. Here is a list of mistakes to avoid when you’re renovating your kitchen.
- Skimping on quality. This is the worst mistake you could make when you renovate your kitchen. You’re putting all of this money into a kitchen, don’t be afraid to spend a little more on appliances and other fixtures in order to save yourself the cost of repairs down the road. Or go with something like our RTA Kitchen Cabinets, which are high quality with the cheapest price, guaranteed.
- Not doing your research. When you’re working on something as big and integral to your life as your kitchen, you want to make sure that you do your research. There are so many different brands, models, and materials of everything from cabinets to fridges to rangehoods. You probably don’t know about everything that’s available on the market, and new innovations come out everyday.
- Not figuring out where everything will go. It’s so important to plan out how you will use your new space. You don’t want to put your microwave on a counter and not have an outlet for it to plug into, or not have anywhere to put your silverware. Make a list of everything you have in your kitchen and make sure it all has a new home in your kitchen blueprint before you begin remodeling.
- Not measuring. Along the same lines, not measuring your kitchen can be a huge mistake. You don’t want to order a new, beautiful fridge, and find out that it’s an inch too big and won’t fit. Be sure to consult a measuring guide for help measuring your kitchen correctly and accurately.
- Things that open into one another. While you’re measuring things, make sure that you consider how much space they take up when they are open. Your dishwasher may beautifully fit in that corner, but if it blocks the kitchen sink while it’s open, it’s basically worthless. Imagine having every cabinet and appliance in your kitchen open at the same time. If too many things overlap, you have a problem.
- Not considering functionality. Even more important than having a beautiful kitchen is having a functional kitchen, so consider this when designing your layout. The three most used features in a kitchen are the sink, fridge, and oven, so consider putting these in a triangle for easy access. Having your fridge tucked far away from your sink will drive you crazy.
- Not considering the long haul. Do you remember the last time you remodeled your kitchen? Chances are, it’s been quite a while, and you’ve had to live with the choices made back then for a long time. Keep this in mind when you are designing a new renovation. Consider going for a more classic look rather than a trendier one. Those bright colored appliances might look nice now, but will they still be in style in five years?
- Not setting aside a little extra budget for unexpected expenses. If it can go wrong, it will, and that’s definitely true in remodeling work. Be sure to put aside a little bit of your budget to fix last minute emergencies that arise. You’ll thank yourself when the pipes are accidentally damaged or not enough flooring is ordered.
- Paying someone for work you could do yourself. One great way to save a little money for emergencies is to do work yourself. If you’re able and have the time to work in your kitchen yourself, definitely do so. Ready-to-Assemble cabinets are great because almost anyone can put them together, saving you money in installation.
- Not having fun with it. Remodeling can be incredibly stressful. Be sure to have fun in the process. Maybe you take advantage of the fact you don’t have a working stove and go out to your favorite restaurant, or invite all of your friends over to paint and make a party out of it. Make sure that you try to enjoy the process or the stress will drive you crazy.
What mistakes do you think it’s important to avoid when remodeling? If we missed any, be sure to let us know in the comments!